Down by the river


We had a gorgeous sunny day with relatively balmy temps today (high 30s), perfect for a drive I had to take anyway. Everybody knows what Niagara Falls looks like—and that the best, fullest view of it is from the Canadian side.


But there are also the rapids and the gorge, which look just as wonderful from either side. In fact, I think the American side offers easier access to a lot of this part of the river; it’s not as built up, that’s for sure.


I wandered around the upper rapids for a while and got some shots looking toward the Rainbow and Goat Island bridges. Then I drove down to Whirlpool State Park and got some shots looking down at the gorge. There were few sightseers and a biting wind.


Finally I stopped by my former workplace and admired it in the snow with its little evergreens protruding here and there. I have a full slideshow here. It was a good day—for winter.

Comments

TC said…
It's gotten harder for me to see anything good about zone 5 winters. Of course I know they're most necessary and part of It All, but still.

Very interesting tour of the art museum. I enjoyed browsing your photos.
It looks like you had a fun outing. I love the apron display. So few people use them any more. These are definitely works of art.
Unknown said…
I made it to Niagara Falls (Canadian side) for the first time in 2005, and again in 2006. I was amazed at how close people could GET to the water and that fence really wouldn't deter someone who wanted to go over. I very much liked that the US side looked less developed than the appalling tackiness of the Cdn. side but didn't get there because I was on media trips with other writers. Next time...

Off seasons are often the best times to examine local landmarks, aren't they? We so often avoid them, even if they're incredibly beautiful like the Falls or Peggy's Cove here in NS, because of too many tourists.
yan said…
So fun!! I like to make snow man.

electric bikes
Chandramouli S said…
Ahhh! Great Vistas! Thank you for the heavenly photos, Elizabeth! How I wish I visit Niagara for real!
The Diva said…
Ah, yes, a good day for winter. I love the look of the rushing water. Great photos. Elizabeth, I'm posting as the Diva cause I can't use the name/url thing, but it's me.~~Dee
Jon said…
EAL, I love how cheerful and optimistic you sound in the midst of winter...saying "a good day-for winter". For some reason it reminds me of that saying: "It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness" and my grandmother telling me years ago when I was a child encountering some little setback..."Don't worry about it, honey, it could be much worse." Yes, my coffee cup is half full this morning and I am trying hard to THINK SPRING.

Jon at Mississippi Garden
lisa said…
It is certainly getting to be that time of year, when even snow-bunnies like me get antsy for spring. Thank you for the uncommon look at the Falls, I've never been there myself.

Popular Posts