The slippery slope


Now is the time when the early summer garden starts to harden into the midsummer garden. Fewer if any new plants are emerging and the fresh lush look of the garden begins to dissipate just a bit. Sure, there is plenty to look forward to in the way of flowers, but for the most part all the plants are out. I no longer have to worry about squashing a baby coreopsis or vebena bonariensis as I thread my way though the sunny bed.

But this is not a time to relax vigilance. The garden looks good—well, as good as it can without a total redesign—so I tend to neglect certain tasks that are very important. Sure, I pull weeds, but many of the small ones are hidden behind other foliage. They all have to go. I also need to do the second fertilization of the roses and deadhead ALL the seedheads, not just “enough.”

The pansy containers in the front still look OK, but now they must be replaced. And the wisteria has to be cut back hard. And maybe the viburnum should be pruned. Maybe. The most distasteful task of all—cutting back my neighbor’s voracious silver lace vine, which has jumped the fence and climbed up out utility pole—is another must.


I don’t really feel like doing any of these things. I’d rather enjoy my martagon lilium (top) and another fine color clash (above): yellow heliopsis and magenta clematis.

Comments

To me this is the time of year we can enjoy the garden the most. Right now there is a cold front going through after a week of 90+ temps. It feels like heaven. All that would be better is to have a good rain so I could get out and weed. Can't weed when it is to dry that the weeds just break off. At least thats my story and I am stickin to it.
Carol Michel said…
Yes, the slippery slope of the lazy summer days. There is still much to do in the garden. I enjoy pruning; weeding, not so much.

Carol, May Dreams Gardens
I'm with Lisa! We've gone from the 90s down to 60! That would be OK if it would rain ... so I could deal with the weeds that need to be pulled ... so I can put down the last of the mulch that is still sitting in the driveway ... so we can get gravel delivered for the next project. My lilies are done as result of the heat so I have no excuse to sit back and look at pretty flowers.
Frances said…
As good as it can look without a total redesign...true words from a true gardener! There is so much to do it can be overwhelming so we do little or nothing, spending time enjoying the lilies. As they say in Tennessee, I ha-year that!
Frances
Summer is when I really can get going on my own gardens as the frantic design pace of spring slows down a bit. Good thing I like to weed...a bit like meditation or swimming laps. Grab, pull, toss, grab, pull, toss...
Claudia said…
I can't seem to get to the Yahoo address for the Buffalo Fling. I told Jim I would help in any way I can, although I'm waaay out here in Amherst. He said I was drafted.

So I'll give you my e-mail here, but understand this is just for you,and the 3,000 people reading this post. Plilnane@aol.com
Amy G. said…
I have a lot of catching up to do in my gardens -- lots of deadheading, trimming, and cutting down. I'm afraid my front garden looks pitiful right now, still recovering from moving the bushes out and new things in, I guess. I have higher hopes for it next year, and will have to be patient. I definitely have to deadhead my roses and lilacs, stat! That July 4th deadline is looming for the lilacs. :)

But, I am looking forward to doing this stuff. I am also hoping to acquire more plants from family members this weekend, which means... more work to do!

Have a great holiday weekend!
Cindy, MCOK said…
If the heat and humidity down here get to be too much for me, I'll gladly come weed/prune/etc. in exchange for the opportunity to do so in a happier climate! You can sit back, point and enjoy!
As I was working in the garden this morning, finally getting to some tasks that I meant to do a while ago, I was musing on this very same topic. "Maybe" I should prune this and "maybe" I should do that. But sometimes I just can't convince myself. I just want to enjoy it and let it do its thing. After all, I can always get around to those tasks manana.
I'm not a fan of this time of year. I love the freshness of spring and the colors of fall. Yes, there are lots of things in bloom, but the excitement of finding something new in bloom everyday is gone. The blooming slows down, but the weeds never do.
Rose said…
So true, Elizabeth. This is the time of year when I just want to sit back and enjoy the garden. Fortunately, the heat wave we had last week is gone; I tend to be much more motivated and ambitious about pulling weeds and other chores when I don't have sweat dripping into my eyes:) I planted some late seeds that are still just coming up--I think I may have pulled some of them up by mistake with the weeds.
EAL said…
Claudia, I should be so lucky to have 3000 readers of this post. Maybe when I was blog of note but not now!

Thanks, I will keep you posted. We are getting proposals from hotels now and that will help determine the date.

Popular Posts