A garden at the end of summer


There was considerable pressure on the GWI garden during July. Actually, it started in late June when fellow Ranter and acclaimed author Amy Stewart snuck in with a camera crew and shot a video (mainly an interview with Amy), while I was out of town. It is a major production about Buffalo gardens and our love of gardens that the local visitor’s bureau is working on. When it’s finished, I’ll post it.

Then, July 8-11, 70 garden bloggers/writers/vendors were in town, and the GWI property again got a workout, on a very hot Thursday. I am assured by most of the attendees that they could not really see the garden for the crowd and the excitement of seeing each other—which is as it should be.


Finally, July 24-27, about 1,000 people came through as part of Garden Walk Buffalo. That’s a smaller number than usual, because the headquarters location changed, but 1k was plenty for me. It was a lovely weekend. I should mention that throughout July, my garden was one of a few dozen Open Gardens. Every Thursday I tried to remember to leave the gate open so that those few aware of the program could visit. We’ll try it again next year with better PR.


Phew! Now the garden is finally quiet. The lilies are over (except the speciosum), the roses are taking a break, but I do have plenty of annuals, tropicals and yellow/orange perennials. The heliopsis is doing wonderfully, as is the rudbeckia laciniata “Gold Glow” (at top), which might very well be my favorite rudbeckia ever. There isn’t the riot of scent that I had when the lilies and jasmine were dominating, but I do still have some fragrance from the heliotrope (especially the white), the old-fashioned petunias, the David’s Lavender phlox and a few other plants. And there are some plants still to bloom.

Maybe the garden isn’t so much quiet as different.

Comments

It sounds like you and your garden need a rest. The white lily is beautiful.
I think I need some L speciosum. I'm sadly lily-less now, and wishing for something to bloom big and flamboyant now. If you get that Hosta plantaginea established that I gave you, you'll have more than enough scent at this point in summer. I step out onto the patio and into a cloud of fragrance.
Pam/Digging said…
That's a very heavy workout for you and your garden. You deserve a break before the seasons change. Enjoy.
Donna said…
1000 visitors and the 5 week-long event as well, you do need a break. I did not get a chance to see your garden in person at Garden Walk Buffalo, but thank the many bloggers who visited and posted images. Next year, I will make sure to have your garden on my list, or visit during Open Gardens. The photos of it were so inspiring, as your garden is so creatively crafted.
ggray said…
I don't know how you do it. A garden is difficult enough without so many visitors fondling your ferns and frisking you freesia. You are a brave soul, indeed! I'm sad too, the South Carolina 100+ heat is dispatching the blooms quicker than ever. All that remains in my garden are a few hardy roses.
Cindy, MCOK said…
I'm still sad that I didn't run back by to tour your garden sans crowd the day before I left. I guess that means I have to come back!
Care For Roses said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular Posts