Hope springs eternal



While checking on this year's order from Bluestone Perennials, I saw that I had saved orders from the last two years. One of them I actually ordered; the other I never followed through on (and I see why; it looks like about $180 worth of plants).

So this is what was purchased in 2005:

AGASTACHE Apache Sunset (1)
ANCHUSA Dropmore (1)
ANEMONE Victor Jones (1)
ANEMONE Elegans (1)
CAMPANULA p. New Giant (1)
COREOPSIS Tripteris (1)
KNIPHOFIA uvaria Flamenco (1)
(1)
PHLOX paniculata Eva Cullum (1)
VERBENA Bonariensis (1)
VERONICA Stelleri Mann's Variety (1)
VIOLA cornuta Lutea Splendens (1)

(The [1], of course, mean 3 plants.)

And here's how they turned out. I failed to check the hardiness zone for the agastache; it was lovely but of course it did not come back. The anchusa was somehow never planted. The anemone was planted and is doing OK. One of the campanulas is coming up, but it's overshadowed by a bunch of taller plants; the others were planted in too much shade or devoured by hostas. The coreopsis came up and I pulled its lanky late-flowering stalks right out of the ground by the roots in the fall.

Moving on. The kniphobia has not yet flowered. I'm not sure what's happening there. The phlox might still be where I put it—in too much shade. The verbena is basically an annual and I have reordered it. (I haven't noticed any of this self-seeding everyone boasts about.) Veronica? I think it was eaten by lamium and, again, hosta. The viola was treated as an annual.

Not much result for about $140, eh? I'm sure you are all appalled, as well you should be. I was more conservative this year:

GERANIUM Rozanne (1)
CHRYSOGONUM virginianum Pierre (1)
RUDBECKIA Maxima (1)
CLEMATIS Huldine (1)
VERBENA Bonariensis (1)
BUDDLEIA davidii Harlequin (1)

Of course, I won't be repeating any of the mistakes I made last year. This year everything will come up and thrive. Oh yes.

Comments

Jenn said…
Agastache - this is short lived, and likes to be very dry over the winter. If you really like it, try again, perhaps from seed.

"The coreopsis came up and I pulled its lanky late-flowering stalks right out of the ground by the roots in the fall." Hah! I would have taken those!

V bonariensis - I gather the seedheads in January, and scatter them then in the pots I grow summer annuals in, come spring I can move the little seedlings around and refresh the pots for the next round of annuals.

Good luck with this year's lovelies!
"Of course, I won't be repeating any of the mistakes I made last year. This year everything will come up and thrive. Oh yes."
This is required behavior/belief by a true gardener! Avanti!
Carol Michel said…
For gardeners, February is a very positive month, isn't it? Everything is going to work out great in the garden. Get that order in! I'm right there with you.
Unknown said…
I was going to say what Jenn said about the agastache rotting out over the winter even if it is hardy in your zone...

I giggled at "Of course, I won't be repeating any of my mistakes..." but only because I always say that I won't. And sometimes I still do. :)
Anonymous said…
FYI, that Kniphofia is a seed-propagated cv. with quite variable flowers -- I bought two last year: one turned out pale yellow, the other a more traditional "red-hot" yellow through red spectrum.

Popular Posts