And so the saga continues …



Over the past few weeks, the proposed site for the pond has seen a lot of changes, as perennials flourish and the climbing hydrangea puts out its buds. So, too, has the pond discussion ebbed and flowed as our two finalist designers presented their estimates and plans.

I wish I could say that all discussions have gone smoothly, and that the two prospective pond owners are as one in their ideas. Unfortunately that is not exactly the case. The English Gardener team came in with a novel and ambitious plan to connect two planting beds with a runnel of water that would flow from one pool to another. It would echo the curving shape of the flagstones, which come from the front in a narrow path, then widen around the house, then narrow again as they travel around the garage to the alley. So the runnel would have flowed from the fern/hosta bed to the mixed perennial/climber bed, along the side of the neighbor’s house.

Would have. Because it ain’t happening. I was more enthusiastic about it than my husband; he raises many objections, from the space it would take in what is now a pots/seating area to the flashy nature of the design. So, looking for common ground, it seems that we’d both accept a natural-looking, traditional pond/waterfall set-up, though I do hope that some drama can be added. Brian of Innovative Landscapes, who pretty much designs as he goes (not a sketcher), is our chosen designer. He’s a very enthusiastic pond guy, and loves building them. He’ll be doing it later in May, and now I need to find out which plants I have to move.

I tried to reproduce the sketch for the runnel with hideous results. But I may scan it in and add it later. Above is the bed where the pond will be placed.

Comments

Carol Michel said…
Looks like you've got some work to do, to move all those plants!
Anonymous said…
I'm also having a pond put in to accompany my new screened garden room. My builder is "designs as he goes". I'm the kind of person who likes a plan, even if the plan changes as we go; that is, I prefer prototyping. Luckily, I've seen plenty of examples of his work so I know he is good at what he does. Still it's difficult to remain aloof and let him do his job when my own project management style is so different.
EAL said…
Oh, there will be no aloofness. My designer may design as he goes but I have a few plans.

Please post links to your pond!
EAL said…
Carol, I don't want to move those plants. I'm thinking of invading the flagstone space instead.

Popular Posts