A good time for flowers to stay inside


It's been in the single digits almost every day this week, but my strategy is to ignore the temps. There's nothing to be done; this is a time to sit around the fire with friends, visit the botanical gardens, browse through catalogs, and, oh yes, tend to a thriving indoor garden that now consists of about 40 hyacinths, 60-some houseplants in various stages of activity, and some other seasonal bulbs. I'm still waiting for all of my amaryllis to bloom, but most of the narcissus are either blooming or about to.


Here is the Erlicheer, which really creates one of the most upright and bountiful floral displays I've seen from one of these. It cam from Old House Gardens. Grand Primo is also blooming and I expect Grand Soleil d'Or and Golden Rain to pop out over the next week or so. Martinette will be the final one; maybe even a February GBBD.


With the humidifier and lights going every day, I've now managed to spoil my plant room into thinking it's summer. The gardenias demand more water than usual (no leaf drop though) and the orchids are responding as well.


The houseplants I've always had are having a very long bloom season; I don't think I've seen the African violet out of bloom since maybe summer. I am looking forward to seeing what this plectranthus will do when I take it outside this year. I'm guessing it won't get buggy, based on the interesting musky fragrance coming from—I think— the foliage, not the flowers.


There is lots to anticipate over the next few months (the Isabelle hyacinths, above) , including some double tulips I'm trying to force for the first time. We'll see how that goes. As many of you know, Garden Blogger's Bloom Day is the creation of Carol/May Dreams Gardens.

Comments

It's cold here in Ct. today. Reminds me of my youth living in Dunkirk with the winds whipping off of Lake Erie. Love the pictures of the flowers.
ooo I think I can smell those hyacinths. naw...it must be the Sweet Potato soup simmering on the stove. Love the pictues EAL. They are inspiring for one (me) that doesn't do many inside plants.
Anonymous said…
Even people in warm climes enjoy forcing bulbs . . . my mom who was in a car accident at Thanksgiving and so can't garden outside got some narcissus and amaryllis going to salve her itchy green thumbs. (btw, i'm sorry to see you too have been victimized by the moron blogger with the spam comments. Curse you whoever you are.)
Things are looking lovely...you're reaping the rewards for all that bulb work!
Unknown said…
Wow, you do have a garden indoors! That's a lot of bulbs you have there.
Kathy said…
I have had African violets off and on throughout the years, but never got mine to bloom non-stop. I am definitely taking notes for next fall. Is that when you order?
EAL said…
Kathy, I have had all mine for years. I just pick them up cheaply, too. I think this one was a Wegman's purchase 5 years ago maybe?

I do suggest using the special pots made for these. I really think they work.
Daphne Gould said…
Beautiful indoor garden. I have a measly one plant growing indoors. It is not even a flowering plant. So I'm hibernating through the winter.
You have an embarrassment of indoor blooming riches! I really like the look of 'Erlicheer' Narcissus. That goes on the list for forcing next year. Your Cyclamen is just stunning. They are my favorite indoor flower.
Commonweeder said…
It'n noon and still only 4 degrees here, and promises to get worse. Looking at your photos I am making a resolution to force lots and lots of bulbs next year. Thanks for the inspiration. I will not go the Inaugural Poppy route as shown on my blog.
Anonymous said…
So beautiful. I'm especially fond of that Narcissus. I want one next year. Thanks for expanding my indoor horizons.~~Dee
Annie in Austin said…
You have more bulbs blooming inside one room than most people have in a whole yard - how wonderful it looks, EAL!

I bought 'Mona Lavender' Plectranthus last summer, hoping to winter it inside, but mealybugs came in, too - so no more Mona.

Happy GBBD!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose
Carol Michel said…
I definitely agree, you just have to ignore the weather as nothing can be done about it, but you can have blooming plants inside.

I want more bulbs now, and it is too late! I'll make notes for next fall. I don't think I could really have too many, do you? (No need to answer).

Carol, May Dreams Gardens
EAL said…
No, because you know the answer!
MA said…
WOW! EAL! You grow girl. Those are awesome.
Chandramouli S said…
Cool! You're SO AWESOME! A Plant Room! And flowers blooming like crazy?!!!! Well, I congratulate you and I bow down to your dedication.
Your flowers are beautiful but your fireplace is a knock out. Oh, how I remember those Allentown houses!
Hilery said…
Thanks so much for sharing your blooms. I wish my paperwhites would hurry up -- yours are so pretty.

My Bloom Day post: http://www.desertgreenhouseguide.com/30/bloom-day.html
Kerri said…
I'm regretting not planting any bulbs for forcing. Last year I planted lots and had a discouraging turnout for the amount...due to rotten little rodents eating them where they were stored in the garage. They spared the hyacinths, of course, but only Carnegie really put on a good show. I found your bulb FAQ post very helpful. Thanks!
The Rieger begonia is a great consolation, but I'd still love to have some of these lovely narcissus, and some hyacinths. Hopefully next year!
lisa said…
Wow, your house must smell AMAZING with all those fragrant flowers! Next year I must plan ahead to enjoy a show like that, cuz' I could really use it about now.

Popular Posts