I become a TV gardener

One of my new projects at work is that I am programming a segment on either AM Buffalo or PM Buffalo (daytime local talk shows) every Wednesday. It’s supposed to be connected to what we are covering in the magazine. I’m trying to avoid going on myself (Ever catch sight of yourself in a TV monitor?), but had to participate today, because the subject was…

Gardening! And I must say we killed. I went on with Lacy, who runs a very cute shop in town called Diggin It!, and we did a bulb forcing demonstration with paperwhites and hyacinths. I was a bit nervous about trying to show and tell people how to force hyacinths in the few seconds I had for that. Paperwhites are easy; hyacinths not so much. But Lacy had brought all these gorgeous vases, draping, and other materials for a really professional display and we got calls the whole time we were on. Thank god I could answer their questions, as many were not about bulbs.

“How do I get my Christmas cactus to bloom? “Why does my rose bush only give me three flowers?” Jeez. I felt bad—all these people out there really wanting to make things grow but needing basic assistance.

Anyway, all were happy, and for me it was additional proof of how much people connect to gardening. Even the station staffers were asking us questions about stuff they wanted to do.

Comments

Annie in Austin said…
Congratulations on your debut!

We're really lucky in Austin - we have a half-hour local PBS TV show on gardening that appears every weekend as well as several call-in radio shows. The various hosts answer questions for 2 or 3 hours on Saturday and Sunday mornings. They've been on for over 20 years without running out of questions or answers. So if you get the chance to do something like this, it could be a long-term job!

Annie

Popular Posts