Before/After


Before/After

This is what I love about gardening. Even after some half-hearted mangling and butchering by roofers who clearly were not giving it their all, I’m confident that the cycle will continue, from bare to burgeoning to lush to fading and back again.

And this is why I have no interest in living in anything less than a four-season climate. Every place has its cycles, but ours is pretty dramatic. Hard to believe, looking outside on a gray February day, that I’ll have my urban jungle back in a matter of months. It’s kind of fun, for a while, to forget about outside gardening and turn my attention to the bulbs, MAYBE some seeds, and refreshing visits to the Botanical Gardens.

But those are minor distractions compared to the hidden action outside.

Now, if someone would just come along and make all these matted maple leaves disappear before snow buries them.

Comments

You can always hope that the leaf blower fairies come along.

I am in agreement about the restful contemplative side of the four seasons gardening. I look forward to all the seasons.

Life is good.
firefly said…
I love my garden(s) but cold weather actually suits me better.

Easier to warm up than cool down (ah, thank goodness for thermal underwear). I've been mulching and raking leaves out of the beds, and enjoying it much more than dragging the garden hose around in July.

And no blood-sucking bugs, which never fail to find me before anybody else.
Anonymous said…
I'm with you on four seasons! I'm not partial to the mud of spring but it doesn't last long and then there is....glory! Send those leaf fairies over here when they finish with your garden!
Matron said…
That is what is so rewarding about gardening! You can actually stand back at the end of the day and physically see what you have done. Not at all like pushing papers across a desk all day!
Anonymous said…
Here in Buffalo, really, we have two seasons. Before Garden Walk, and after.

After Garden Walk is like letting your belt loose after thanksgiving dinner. A relief with nothing but relaxing to look forward to.

Things start to shift in March, when you're antsy to get back out in the garden to do things. Break is over. Work begins and doesn't end until the last weekend in July.
lisa said…
I agree, four seasons has some great advantages: forced to take a break from the garden, a chance to reflect and plan, even winter kill has an upside-excuse to find replacement plants! I have to admit to some zone-envy though...especially when I see some of the crazy stuff they have in places like Hawaii. But I'm amazed at the miracle of rapid recovery that takes place every year...blogging has definately brought that to light in a big way. Like this post-thank you!
EAL said…
Lisa, you are sweet, and I love your new picture, though I loved your other one just as much!

I just don't know how I would deal with a non-WNY winter climate. I'm happy with this.
I agree about needing to live where there are 4 seasons. I love the dramatic changes in the garden, how in Spring there's something new to look at everyday, how the color of the light changes with the seasons, and how beautiful the 1st snowfall looks.

Popular Posts