Looking on the bright side


Having been rather ill-natured about my rudbeckia, it’s only fair to celebrate what’s going right this month. Above is an image you’ve seen on this blog many times: Golden Splendor trumpet lilies. They are offered under various names by several companies; I’ve tried a few but I don’t know which are which. Old House Gardens says their bulbs are the true ones, but I seem to remember they were out of stock when I ordered them. So … whatever. They come up reliably year after year and seem to last longer than the regales or the pink ones. I tried a Copper King variety, I think it was called, and it only came up once. These yellow ones are faithful.


In my garden, containers and annuals are very important. Here’s a pretty juxtaposition of a jasmine I overwinter every year with some white petunias in an old coffeepot. I have over 30 containers in various places, and I rely on them. You can control what’s going on in them so much more, sometimes, than in the beds.

Comments

Unknown said…
I think that you have to NOT want the Copper Kings to come back... I planted a couple that I wish wouldn't return, because I don't particularly like the softness of their color in my garden, so of course they're blooming their heads off. And I would rather have your pretty yellow color instead!

By the way, I thought about you as I caught up on my newspaper reading this weekend. There was a great write-up on Garden Walk Buffalo in the Cleveland Plain Dealer, so maybe you'll see an influx of Ohioans this year.
CiNdEe's GaRdEn said…
I love your yellow lillies!!!
EAL said…
Thanks, Kim, our PR guy told us--he does an awesome job. Maybe you'll be one of them!

These days I am amazed by the over 20 smaller neighborhood and suburban walks that have sprung up in GW's wake.
The Diva said…
I love the jasmine. Smells delightful. I don't have much luck with true lilies. They come up one year and then die away.~~Dee
Cute container! That's one of the next things I want to do in my garden is have containers available to fill the bare spots. My garden looks pretty bare after the oriental poppies die back.

There was a short write up in the Detroit Free Press about Garden Walk as well.
Those yellow lilies are tremendous. What luck that they come back so faithfully.

I love containers but I haven't very many of them. They do fill voids where the tree roots are so thick.
cheryl said…
ooooooo Copper King! such a heavenly scent, I grew it alongside the veranda where its fragrance sweetened the evening air. Planted alongside a Bohemian Olive, mmmmm, the colour combo was lovely. Unfortunately I've lost all the lilies due to that Red Japanese Lily Beetle :( All my lilies are now gone, memories in photos.
Jon said…
Always a treat to my tired, sick eyes to visit your blog with its lovely photos. I love those yellow lillies also!

Jon at Mississippi Garden

Popular Posts