Fall is the new summer


At least this year. We had a wet summer; the rain was very good for the garden (except for vegetables), but got to be tiresome after a while. But September has been glorious: balmy and sunny. Other than wishing more perennials would bloom at this time, I am happier with my early October garden than I usually am.

I invited friends over for drinks on the patio and a bulb-potting activity, and I used a few tricks to freshen the garden.


Pots from the front stoop were moved back to the patio to fill it out. I tied up the tall rudbeckia stalks and cut down some lily stalks that had yellowed (enough for rebloom).


I even brought back a window box and hung it on the trellis. The pond has a lot of leaves at this time, so it had to be cleaned, and I brought down an extra tropical that will stand the nighttime temps.


Add a big punchbowl full of specialty cocktail, some interesting cheeses and a bunch of friends and you’re set. (I used vodka; an Italian mandarin liquor; St Germaine, which is an elderflower liquor; and just enough sparkling water to reduce its deadliness.)

There's just one problem. I really don't feel like working in the garden: I get enough of that in the spring and summer. I want to relax. There is however, a problem with that. 430 little round problems, to be exact, all sitting in boxes in the back room. Some of them direct from Holland.

Comments

Just bite the bullet and get out there and get those bulbs planted. Then you can toss in the trowel and party until the deadly frost sets in. Your garden looks lovely by the way.
Anonymous said…
Did you say you got your friends to pot some of them up? Clever you! You sure pack a lot in that space of a garden. I'm so impressed. I'm in the mood for wine and cheese. It just sounds good. But I'm a sweet wine or sparkling something or other. Do you have that?

I bet the conversation was wonderful.
EAL said…
Anna, I have everything, including some great semi-sweet Reisling. But the bulbs were their take-away gifts; they were paperwhites in vases with interesting stones and glass pebbles.
Anonymous said…
Your post reminds me of the daffodils I have waiting to be planted. I think I'll have a glass of wine.:)
Donna
Unknown said…
I have yet to plant up some garlic, too... seems like procrastination and laziness abound. :)

The pond looks absolutely amazing, Eliz. What is that red thing on the rocks in the lower left of the picture? I can't tell if it's animal, vegetable or mineral, but it keeps catching my eye...
EAL said…
Kim, it is a little rusty squirrel, given us by my late MIL. I must say the pond was the best thing we ever did. Regardless of whatever badness might be happening elsewhere in the garden, the pond is always a delight.
kate smudges said…
Your garden looks gorgeous ... just as I began reading your post and saw the words, 'bulb-potting activity', it suddenly made me realise that I have a bunch of bulbs needing to be planted. Maybe once the snow goes ...

It looks as if your friends were having a good time - how could they not with a beautiful pond to admire, a gorgeous garden and a punchbowl full of delicious tastes!

Popular Posts