Late season revelations


Some garden bloggers had a bit of show ‘n’ tell on the Plurk network today. The idea was to fearlessly display large areas of our gardens so that we could have a sense of what each of us is actually talking about when we describe a plant or a problem. It’s impossible to really see a garden in photographs, of course. I know I always try to go for the most flattering angle possible, which isn’t what you’d see in person. Above is my favorite view—through the walled sunny bed to the pond, across the patio.


This is the front; its ground cover will soon be all tangled with leaves. What a pain. You can’t see some side perennial beds I am developing to the left, along the walkway to the back. I will working on those further in the spring.


This is behind the house, toward the alley. It’s an area that requires very little care exceopt some watering; it’s all ground cover, a few perennials and bulbs, and, of course, tree roots.


On the micro level, I still have some flowers: dahlia, boltonia, verbena boniarensis, heliopsis, and plenty of potted annuals.
The hydrangea are turning color, but there isn’t much fall color anywhere else—not in the Boston ivy or the maples. It’s all still pretty green.


And here are some potted blush noisettes I’ve had for about eight years. I store them in the root cellar. I sometimes wonder how much of the pot is now filled with their roots. Pretty much all of it, I’d say.

Two other plurkers who showed their gardens are Mary Ann/Idaho Gardener and Cindy/My Corner of Katy.

ADDENDUM: For a full view of the autumn garden, click here.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Elizabeth, it does give us an idea of what you have, and it all looks nice and lush and green.~~Dee
Rhonda said…
Wow Elizabeth, what a great show & tell. Your garden areas are beautiful.
I like seeing the overview of other gardens. As you say it helps to know what they are dealing with. Of course the up close and personal photos are also appreciated eye candy.
Anonymous said…
That blush rose is exquisite. It looks like you have a beautiful home and property.
Anonymous said…
Your garden still looks quite lush & beautiful.
EAL said…
Thanks everybody! But I did not show all--more pixs tomorrow, of the creepier parts of the garden.
Anonymous said…
The garden remainds me on my grandmother.. she has the most beautiful roses ever!!
Anonymous said…
It is hard to sense a garden with still shots. Yours do help give a sense of space and I love the facade of the house. I can almost see all the tazettas through the curtains. Sorry I missed the plurking...had to get the hair done! Priorities.
Anonymous said…
Very beautiful
Gail said…
Elizabeth, I appreciate your posting this tour...your garden is lovely. The patio looks very inviting, a good spot to have a visit.

gail

Popular Posts