Dune blooms


Last year at this time, I see that I posted about Golden Splendor trumpet lilies (above) and various annuals performing equally splendidly in their chosen positions. However, I am a stickler about these GBBD posts (somewhat) and I do feel that the images should be of flowers blooming where one can see them on that date. So, though I am positive they are blooming, I cannot see my Golden Splendors.


What I can see are these nice yellow flowers (above), bursting from some opuntia (prickly pear cactus) at the cottage next door, and—everywhere—the magnificent inflorescence of the yucca. I congratulate the owners of our beach rental; they have done a splendid job infusing the dunes with a good variety of hardy and I think mostly native plants. Apparently yuccas can be grown as far north as Canada, though I can’t see them on the GWI property. They just wouldn’t fit in.


And I must also comment that I’d hate gardening in the desert, and enduring these 90plus temps away from the ocean breezes. Snowy winters seem infinitely preferable. And yet—a view like this (below) seems worth forsaking all my Golden Splendors—at least for a few days.


As always, thanks Carol/May Dreams gardens for starting this lovely garden blogging tradition.

Comments

Carol Michel said…
Yes, a view like that is worth a bit of sacrifice. I admire yuccas from afar, too, not because I don't have some sunny places in my garden where they would grow but mostly because they don't do much for me, so to speak. And I've read that once you plant them, they are impossible to get rid of.

Thanks for joining in from afar!
Carol, May Dreams Gardens
The blooms are lovely. The view.... priceless.
Ramble on Rose said…
I also like to admire yuccas in someone else's garden. But they're just too sharply textured (literally and figuratively) for my garden!
I love Opuntias, they're the only cactus native to Illinois (found mostly at IL State Beach Park on Lake Michigan). My mom grew a Yucca at the house where I grew up. She hasn't grown it since moving 30 years ago, so I must assume that she, like Rose & I, don't like nasty, sharp foliage.
Layanee said…
Today it would have been perfect at the beach. Great photo of a pristine scene.
Gail said…
A lovely beach shot Elizabeth...I love well planted beach gardens, too. gail
Rose said…
With a beautiful view like the last photo, I would gladly leave my garden for awhile, too! And you did get to see the prickly pear and yucca in bloom. I have visited the desert in the winter and early spring, but, like you, I wouldn't want to spend a whole summer there. I like the changing of the seasons, and I always say that surviving our winters makes spring that much more joyous:)
Pam/Digging said…
I'll echo Rose with a southern twist and say that surviving our summers makes fall that much more joyous! Summer is tough here, but I cannot imagine spending months in a cold, white winter. Isn't it great that we can each find the place that suits us best? :-)

I do love seeing pics of your temperate garden in summer. It's such a great contrast to mine, and it makes me feel cooler for a few minutes. The beach looks nice too.
It seems many of us have times during the year where gardening slows...the variant is if the reason is snow or heat. I have to agree that that view is worth a little garden separation anxiety...I know you're enjoying it!
It's like when I go to the mountains. They are my vacation flowers. I can't imagine living in any climate but my own, but I can vacation with other flowers in other climes. Happy Bloom Day, Eliz.~~Dee
Cindy, MCOK said…
Elizabeth, a view like that is WELL worth leaving your garden behind for a bit! I think I'm in serious need of some beach time. Galveston isn't all that far so maybe I need to make a day trip down there and see if that's enough of a fix!
Unknown said…
Glorious view, Elizabeth. and yes, I have Yucca here, though mine have yet to flower. The trumpet lily is breathtaking, and incited instant "I want that!" lust in me. Of course. I'm hopeless-every striking plant I see, I want, which is why our garden is such a chaos of colour and form.
niartist said…
What a beautiful landscape. I hope you enjoyed your vacation.

Popular Posts