The lily report, 2009


There are actually many lilies still in bud on the gwi property, but plenty are blooming now. I’m happy because I am deliberately not looking up all I ordered in the fall and spring to figure out what never came up and why. I secretly suspect a LOT of them did not come up. But like I said, I’m not going to look closely into that. And I’m not going to think about the two monster stalks whose buds I broke off accidentally before I got around to staking them.


What a good idea to plant more henryi (top) in my one sunny bed! If I do buy more lilies this year, I will surely add more of those. The other surefire success is the Amazing, which must be very closely related to the l. auratum (Gold Band lily, above).


Silk Road (above) is a winner, without question. It even came up in the black shade of the front yard, budding well after the Norways leafed out. And I am pretty sure this (below) is Grandiose, another orienpet from The Lily Garden.



New additions are these nice yellow turks caps. What are they? Where did I buy them?


And here is another variety that never fails: Scheherazade.

Comments

Stunning blooms! I wrote down several names. Thank you!
Yes, the lily is a striking flower to have in the garden. Those big beautiful flowers nodding towards the earth like they are having a continuous conversation from the soil from where they sprung. No matter what they are named they are gorgeous and well worth the space in the garden.
I've got some L. henryi blooming for the first time and some trial lilies whose names I need to look up. They're in my street garden and I could smell them on the breeze 30 feet away when I was working in the garden yesterday. And yes, I broke off the whole top of two emerging lilies because I forgot where I planted them!
Cindy, MCOK said…
Wow, wow, wow! I love that peachy-pink one!
Autumn Belle said…
Your garden is alive with the sight of the beautiful lilies.
Rose said…
This has been a good year for lilies; either that, or I am noticing them more. You have some lovely blooms--I would buy Scheherazade just for the name alone!
Kim said…
I love the peach/pink one, too. We added more lilies this year, and I can see they weren't near enough. Thank you and your fellow Ranters for getting me more into lilies and bulbs - my garden is definitely the better for it.
Sylvana said…
Your Gold Band is magnificent. Much nicer than other pictures I have seen of it. I also like Grandiose. I will have to add those to my list.
Lynn said…
Wow, your lilies are amazing. I'm still seeing plenty around here, too, very cheering. This was my first year to have any, and L. henryi is my new best orange friend. More, yes definitely.

Popular Posts