Hot stuff


Finally. The true summer weather is here, and none too soon for many of my hot weather annuals, such as colocasia, which just refused to perform in the rainy, cool weather of June and (for the most part) July.

I don’t complain about weather though, and I’ve actually been enjoying all this rain. No watering! The other benefit is that many plants have delayed their blooms a bit, so I have rudbeckia, lilium, and phlox just starting to come into bloom in mid-August. Nothing wrong with that.

I had just about pulled these phlox (top) out as weeds a number of times. They are “David’s Lavender,” a sport of the white David phlox we all know and love. Sure enough, as promised, no mildew on these babies. They also multiplied amazingly after planting last year—which is why I had thought they must be weeds.


Other terrific performers include the rudbeckia “Herbstsonne,” which I’ve mentioned before, r. triloba “Prairie Glow,” and r. laciniata “Golden Glow.” Great plants, and I always buy the last two from Select Seeds. They never fail. All three are present in the bunch above, plus some heliopsis.


And the lilies. There are still a bunch of buds that I think may be speciosum rubrum alba, but the regular speciosum (above) and the spectacular tigrinum flore pleno (below) are starting to bloom, and they are wonderful, long-lasting flowers.


August bloom day is starting to be my favorite.

Comments

Sunita Mohan said…
What absolutely gorgeous blooms!
I smiled when I read about the "hot weather annual... colocasia". Here in Mumbai, Colocasia is a rainy weather plant. Ummm.... but, yes our rainy weather is possibly hotter than your hottest day ;)
With these lilies still blooming I can see why you would like August best.
You've been lucky with the weather this year, and everything looks fresh and lush. I think I lost my 'David's Lavender.' I planted one in among 'David' for a little color relief, and I can't find evidence of it this year, so I'm glad yours has performed so well. (Mine might be victim of a deer attack.)
Rhonda said…
I love coming to your blog and looking at all the gorgeous blooms and colors.
Atau348 said…
What a beautiful blooms. I never see them here in North Borneo.
Helen said…
Those double tiger lilies are quite arresting. Do they make bulbils?
Claudia said…
Your lillies are very romantic. I just love them.
Unknown said…
Your lilies are awesome, Elizabeth, and we too have finally got a bit of heat. But I am not real fond of August because I know what's coming closer day by day. Still, there's lots of gardening left to be enjoyed so I won't think about those days that are getting shorter...
EAL said…
Helen, I am clueless. I've not really tried to propagate lilies at all. I just hope the bulbs I plant keep blooming.
Anonymous said…
My rudbeckia just came into bloom too! Strangely enough, my neighbors came in at the beginning of the month and mine is just beginning to sprout beautifully! I love all of your blooms--lovely!
garden girl said…
I can see why August bloom day is becoming your favorite. Those lilies are gorgeous. Herbstonne is a wonderful plant, and the phlox is beautiful.

We had a little heat last weekend, now it's back to cool and wet.
Unknown said…
Hi! I came across your blog while I was was looking for gardening related blogs to feature on a post, on my own blog.

I choose to add yours to my list @ http://acquiredflavor.blogspot.com/2009/09/green-thumbs-are-in-need-of-being.html .

If you would like for me to take your link off my list let me know or if you would like to add anything to it, feel free to comment!

Popular Posts