New introductions


Many of the spring bulbs I bought last year are popping up. Above is the humulis “Persian Pearl.” This really would be nicer with ground cover surrunding it, but I tore out all the ground cover, so that’s not possible. Now we have perennials, most of which are not emerging yet.


This is the erythronium revolutum “White Beauty,” which is coming up nicely, and why not in this weather. I’ve seen that the buds emerge at the same time as the foliage on these, and they can freeze in bad weather, not that we’ve had that.

It’s not quite as white as billed, but I know it must be the correct type—“Pagoda” and “Kondo” would be much yellower, the tuolumnense looks completely different, and the others are pink. I always accept that a company may have sent me a different type, but that rules out everything B&B carries.


This hellebore may be from Plant Delights, or it may be from a local nursery. If, as I suspect, it's the latter, it’s a common purple hybridus type. Nice though. I like it that all the hellebores have blooms, even though they’re new. In a few years, I’m hoping they’ll be like this one in the back—or better.

Comments

herself said…
That erythronium is cool, I'm not sure I've ever seen one before.
Anonymous said…
I really like the flower shots but I am impressed by the badge on the sidebar which says "All alchohol MUST be consumed in the garden". I think I will have to paint a sign! LOL
Gail said…
I was so busy looking at the plants I missed that sign, my guess is that it's been there all along. Love the tulip, the species are really my favorites and this one is cute. Nice erythronium...it has a sweet color; I have the white native trout lily (TN) and Pagoda...both lovely.

Glad you're having pleasant weather...
EAL said…
That sign is from the "wine garden" at the Erie County Fair. I took a picture of it.

There is no need of such a sign in my garden-though this is a nice one.
Unknown said…
I really like that species tulip--and the trout lily, too. I just found a trout lily in my yard (just the 'Pagoda Yellow') and it has buds. I hadn't realized that the foliage and the buds appear at the same time until reading your post... but that's very good to know. I'll temper my expectations! :)
Anonymous said…
humulis huh? I like it. I'd never HEARD OF IT before. But it is cool.
lisa said…
'Pearsian Pearl' is very lovely! Good to see some uncommon spring blooms.
Beverly Kaye said…
Any ideas for flowering plants that the deer will not eat? I'm down to daffodil and ferns! They consider my garden a free buffet. I need a drink.i
Hi Eal! I have to admit I came here from another link only because of the humorous title! Now I'll have to come back for more, lol.

We have a couple of thriving clumps of Tulipa humulis that just finished blooming for the year. We have them planted with purple hyacinths ('Peter Stuyvesant') and Muscari armeniacum 'Grape Hyacinths' which both make exceptional companion plants for them. They all bloom at roughly the same time here (Iowa) and make a very nice contrast. Funny you should have this up, as I just posted on this very plant a few days ago at my place! GFTA, eh? (Great Flowers Think Alike)
Anonymous said…
Sorry, a little late on this, but that Erythronium's tepals do get whiter as the flower opens.
EAL said…
Yes, thanks mmw, and you can tell from the leaves as well.

Popular Posts