No, people will not be trampling my garden

Rather, during this weekend’s Garden Walk, they will be walking carefully along the paths, asking politely if they can take pictures and talking to me about my plants and plants in their own gardens. That’s because nearly everybody who goes on Garden Walk is a gardener of some type; otherwise, I doubt they’d be too interested. I know that some of my friends and acquaintances would never consider the idea of opening their back gardens for the perusal of the Western New York public, and that’s fine.

But invasion of privacy seems pretty much beside the point when it comes to Garden Walk. These are not voyeurs; these are people looking to see and smell some great flowers and exchange some information and enthusiasm about gardening with fellow gardeners. And that’s about it. I don’t believe anything significantly negative has ever happened during this or probably any other local Walk. I would be interested to know if it had.

Some great or funny moments from past Walks:
•The invasion of the Red Hat ladies. This was the first time I had seen this group; I had never heard of them before. They were really nice and let me take their picture.
•The time an intern who had blown off work for weeks showed up, realized it was my place, and hightailed it out of there.
•The time the man who was interested in our house talked to us about its history and later emailed an old surveying map showing the structure in 1860.
•The many times people ask me if I “made” the huge cast bronze, steel, and cast aluminum sculpture in the back garden.
•But mainly, the palpable feelings of good will that seem to wash over the plants and the people the whole time. Yes. This was worth it.

Comments

Popular Posts